Dry Rot in OSB

Old 12-11-04, 09:49 AM
dickreeves
Visiting Guest
Dry Rot in OSB

I have a small area on the edge of my roof decking (above the fascia) where the OSB is crumbling. This is most probably moisture damage, but is it dry rot or just crumbling deteroration.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-04, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Either term is the result of water damaging the wood (OSB) and causing it to deteriorate. Is the under the metal drip edge?

Old 12-13-04, 11:41 AM
dickreeves
Visiting Guest
This is a concrete tile roof and there is no drip edge. It appears as though the felt paper was not long enough to overhang the fascia, letting water contact the OSB decking on the edge. Although we get little rain here in AZ it clearly was wet enough times to cause the decking to crumble on the edge.

Old 12-13-04, 05:48 PM
Ordinarily, there is a metal drip edge along the deck's edge to prevent water from wicking under the deck or behind the fascia board. Also, shingles extend over the edge of the deck and drip edge to allow the water to fall free of the decking and the fascia board.

Old 12-14-04, 09:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OSB is good stuff until it gets wet, then it's a goner.
Here in coastal NC where the rainfall and moisture are high, many builders use OSB in the roof sheathing field, but use regular plywood around all the roof edges for this very reason.
If it were me, I would remove the lower cement shingles, cut out out the rotted OSB and replace it with plywood.
Good luck!
Mike