Outside lower door frame rotting

Old 12-16-04, 01:55 PM
Sulli01
Visiting Guest

I have two outside doors and the bottom 6 to 9 inches of the door frame is rotting from moisture. How can I replace the 6 to 9 inch frame and where would i find the materials. If I cut away how can I replace?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-04, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It will be simpler and more effective to replace the entire frame.

Old 12-17-04, 07:53 AM
Sulli01
Visiting Guest

Chris, where can you just buy a frame? I've not seen just the frames being sold in the home improvement stores. Once I buy that frame and put in how do I protect the bottoms from rotting again?

Thanks in advance, Sulli.

Old 12-17-04, 09:23 AM
I've got the same issue. Next to my front door, I cut out the rotted pieces, used Bondo and caulk to fill in any gaps behind the jamb and then cut pieces of 1" x 4" PVC siding to replace the jamb on the lower 7" or so. Looks pretty good and hopefully I won't be doing this again anytime soon. Make sure everything is caulked well, too.

Old 12-17-04, 01:32 PM
The frames are a standard item for pre-hung doors. Your hd or lowes should be able to get the stock for you. It is milled in a continuous piece, in the manner of a board. Cut it to fit and install.

Keeping the water off of the door in the first place with gutters, drains, deflectors will help. Caulking the bottom edge and all seams along with good painting will wrap up the project.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-04, 06:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have never understood why exterior door framing and trim (brickmold, etc.) isn't pressure-treated to prevent the rot associated with the wicking up of water that the bottoms always do.
One way to repair and help prevent recurrance is to cut the rotted pieces out above the damaged area at a 45 sloping down outward to throw water away.
Seal all end grain of the wood framing and trim with oil-based paint, caulk it all well to keep out moisture, prime it and paint it. Use pressure-treated wood wherever you can.
Good luck!
Mike