Siding over old brick home

Old 12-30-04, 07:14 AM
jballard
Visiting Guest
Question Siding over old brick home

I want to vinyl side over a brick house. The brick is in good shape and the house has been added on too. I just want the whole thing to look the same.

I was wondering the steps I need to take to do this. I have done vinyl siding on plywood and over old wood siding before. I just need to know about running and how to attach nailer strips. And if then I just put foam in between nailers. Do I need to then cover with plywood? Where and how to attach nailer is most important. In the morter joints? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-04, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is a link to a manual for installing vinyl siding. It should answer all your questions with illustrations.

http://www.vinylsiding.org/install/guide.pdf

Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-04, 09:13 AM
jballard
Visiting Guest
Need more

Great instructions. The part about furing strips is not to detailed. I know I need them but I want to know the best way of putting them onto a brick house. And then if I need to make up the difference with something else(foam between strips) so I have a flat serface to install the siding over.

Old 12-30-04, 05:51 PM
I would attach the furring strips with masonry nails. Adding foam insulation would give you some support for the vinyl.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-31-04, 06:47 PM
Masonry nails or masonry screws. Although the good masonry screws are expensive. The insulation would stop the siding from have the appearance of being waved.