waterproof transition-brick chimney to siding

Old 12-31-04, 10:06 AM
john marsh
Visiting Guest
waterproof transition-brick chimney to siding

I'm doing a remodel of an old single story stucco home. We took the house down to the studs and then built up to a new two story home which is being covered with concrete fiber siding. We left the old brick chimney and will be extending it to it's new height using insulated stainless steel flu pipe.

What is the best way to waterproof the intersection between the old existing brick fireplace to the new concrete fiber siding? That is, how do I seal the house where the siding intersects with the brick chimney? I'm referring to where the siding meets the brick. Would you recommend molding be installed next to the brick and then siding up to the molding? Then, caulking all seams? Flashing seems like a better idea, but I'm not sure how to adhere it to an old existing chimney. Should I insert some kind of membrane between the house and the chimney? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-04, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would make sure the cement fiber board is cut as flush to the chimney as possible and caulk the gap. Even if you figured out a way to use flashing, you would still need to caulk it. I am not sure if any type of molding is available for an inside corner when installing that siding, but even then it would require caulk again.