want to reside asbestos shingles - QUESTIONS

Old 01-01-05, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
want to reside asbestos shingles - QUESTIONS

I live in a 1920 Dutch Colonial. I have asbestos shingles that are in need of a paint job. I was thinking it might be more cost effective to just replace the siding. I don't think that my house has much exterior insulation and replacing would give me a little more then I have. What other options do I have for siding besides Aluminum and Vinyl and wood? Something that is cost effective, low maintenance.. Suggestions please and why?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-05, 05:06 PM
cost effective, low maintenance..
Paint what you have.

Old 01-01-05, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Chris. Paint what you have. It can get very expensive to remove and dispose of anything with asbestos.
However, asbestos siding can be encapsulated by installing siding over it, and you can furr out and add rigid foam insulation over it before installing the siding. I would go with vinyl siding and aluminum eave trim.
If you want to just paint what you have, and you have any broken asbestos siding shingles, you can't get asbestos shingles any more, but you can get matching cement fiberboard shingles that look exactly like them (made from same thing as Hardi-Plank).
Most people I know with them either just paint what they have, or install over them. I've never heard of anyone around here going to the expense of actually removing and disposing of them. Far too expensive a deal.
Good luck!
Mike