Aluminum siding

Old 01-02-05, 02:06 PM
jafa
Visiting Guest
Aluminum siding

While working on an interior wall, I noticed water damage to the outer wall which is covered by aluminum siding. It is only that portion of the wall from the window down. I want to carefully remove that portion of the siding without damaging it. But I don't know how to undue it as it is tight. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-05, 05:49 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's only 2 ways to do this that I know of and do. The first if you cannot find any aluminum siding in town to match your dimension wise, color and woodgrain is to start at the top of the exterior wall and literally strip the siding from the top down taking care to keep the panels in order so you can reinstall them when your finished.

Another way and I often do this when cutting in a patio door/window is to start a few courses above the coourse you need to start removing panels. Taking a sharp utility knife and scoring the panel up tight against the bottom of the above course-where the bottom edge of the siding is you need to score right at that point. It will take multiple scores to really weaken that area and if you cant find siding to match back up, keep scoring until you eventually slice through. This will allow you to push that panel down and unhook it from the peice it's attached to. From there on down it's just a matter of pulling nails and unhooking the siding and removing-again keep it in order for when you go to reinstall it.

After the repairs/alterations have been done start installing the siding again, pay special attention that the nails hole from when you removed the sidiing are lining up with the slots for the nailing fin in the siding-this way you know it's going back on in the right spot. When you get to the last peice-that will be the first peice you sliced through in the begining of all this, you want to slide the cut end back up behind the the old peice that's still attached. Then use trim nails and face nail that course back to the house.

Aluminum and steel siding and very difficult to work with when doing a repair or alteration so be prepared to take some time when cutting. Dont get too greedy and start bending it since you'll wrinkle that peice and it'll look like crap when you go to reintall it-that's even if it's usable at that point.

Hope that makes sense, kinda hard to explain.