6" foam backed vs 4"

Old 02-26-05, 09:50 PM
jansenrpi
Visiting Guest
6" foam backed vs 4"

I am trying to decide between two vinyl siding choices.
One is a 6" clapboard shaped with contured foam back (foam gives insulation and rigidity) and the other is the more traditional 4".

I have some interest in the insulation value but my greater interest is in how these two options will compare regarding the appearance of seems?

If there are other issues that I should be concerned about based on readers experiences I am of course interestd in hearing about those too.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-05, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
The size of the siding is a matter of taste, but the style of the house can also be taken into consideration. Not sure if you are referring to a specific brand, but we've done a few jobs using double 6" Alcoa "Structures" which has blue foam glued to the back, and I think it's great! It lays flat and goes up straight. The 6" lap goes up really fast, and personally, I think it's got more of a look to it than 4" siding. you'll also have 33% less laps if you go with 6" siding instead of 4".

Old 03-02-05, 08:18 AM
jansenrpi
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information.

I had not yet looked at the Alcoa, rather I was looking at the Cedar Ridge (I think it is made by Crane Performance Siding out of Columbus Ohio) which is vinyl (they say composite but it looks and feels like vinyl to me).

I am a bit confused about the fewer seams issue. I guess I can see that there are fewer in number but they are longer so the line "length" of the seam is the same. One concern I have is whether the longer line per "board" makes it more apparent (e.g. whether a 6" seem jumps out to the eye before a 4" seam). I am going to to try to find a few houses with this siding on it to answer this question but I remain interested in any opinions others have on this issue.

Old 03-02-05, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
You are right about the overlapping seam being longer. But the seams will be 8" or 12", not 4" or 6", since the siding comes as a double-panel. I think about it this way:

Take a house that has a wall 8 feet high x 36' long. (Personally, I like to keep my joints staggered by 4 feet.) Using double 6" siding, you would have a total of 20 12" seams on that side of the house. Using the same pattern, but with double 4" siding, you would have 30 8" seams.

When you look at the house from one direction (hopefully the street, or main entrance to the house) you shouldn't even see any seams, because of the way they lay- provided the installers think about that when they put the siding on. But when you look at the house from the other direction- looking into the seam- they will be visible. But when you're 100 feet away, what stands out is the number of lines, not really the length of them.

That's my opinion anyway. People put up both kinds of siding all the time and it's not really an issue either way. But if it's something that is really going to bug you for years, then it's wise of you to take all things into consideration. The expression "6 of one, half a dozen of the other" comes to mind! Hope you're happy with whichever one you decide.