Masonite in garage degrading

Old 03-07-05, 02:01 PM
putzing
Visiting Guest
Masonite in garage degrading

I have a garage which has been sheathed in masonite (about 3/16" thick cardboard type stuff). House is 50 years old. Garage also has aluminum siding over that. Some of the masonite at the bottom of the walls is degrading/breaking from moisture getting in. Grass is growing in some of those holes INSIDE the garage. I would like to patch up those holes from the inside without taking off the siding. How can I prep 1/2" OSB to make it more water resistant?

Or should I got with treated plywood?

Garage foundation is a slab, and appears to be about level with the surrounding soil. Ideally the slab would be above the soil level, but that's what I have to work with.

Is there any other way of preventing water/snow from making the sheating wet? Like ringing the garage outside, with 10" tall bricks, or something? This would provide a barrier to snow, but rain going down the siding would still affect the sheating somehow.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-05, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Do you have gutters on the garage? That would be the first thing that would help out here.

ED

Old 03-29-05, 09:21 AM
putzing
Visiting Guest
No gutters on garage.

Old 03-30-05, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can't really replace the sheathing from the inside. You will have to remove the siding to get access for proper replacement. Sorry...

Old 03-31-05, 08:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
If you use osb I would paint it well. The biggest thing you need to do is prevent moisture from getting to it in the first place. That may entail some landscape changes, gutters etc. It is never good to have anything growing right up to non masonary surfaces.