Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Asphalt Shingles (siding) - Should I Paint or Re-side?

Old 03-11-05, 11:31 AM
Q
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have a 1918 home that is 1/3 stone and 2/3 asphalt shingles (with original cedar shakes underneath). The majority of the asphalt shingles are painted creme but some are the original brown. Many of the painted ones have crumbled a bit. Anyway, I have been getting estimates to have all the shingles painted to match (along with all the trim, fascia, etc.). The estimates have ranged from 5k - 10k. I started to think that since this is a large investment - maybe I am better off covering the shingles with either a vinyl or fiber-cement siding. I know that many manufacturers carry "shingle" type siding and that is important to me b/c I really want to maintain the aesthetics of the original house the best that I can.

Has anyone had any experience with either vinyl or fiber-cement shingles? Are they more expensive then traditional siding? How will the cost compare to my painting estimates? Is it even a good idea to paint the asphalt shingles? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-11-05, 11:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't repaint those old shingles, i would look at residing the house. $5-10k is a rather large investment in repainting 40-50 year old shingles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: