Installing doorbell on vinyl siding

Old 03-18-05, 11:49 AM
jlietz
Visiting Guest
Installing doorbell on vinyl siding

Not sure if this question should go in this forum or not...
I have installed my dutchlap vinyl siding and now need to mount the doorbell. I bought a simple one-buttion rectangular shaped doorbell. Am I supposed to mount it directly to the siding or is there some kind of mount I'm supposed to be using? My first thought was to cut a rectangular shaped hole in the siding and then set the doorbell in there and attach it to the wall, but that didn't look good at all . I've pretty much ruined that small piece of siding and will have to replace it. So how does one attach a doorbell?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-05, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 645 Votes on 597 Posts
Yes, screw it right to the vinyl siding. The hole for the wire should be directly behind where the doorbell will be positioned so that it will hide the hole. you can either install it vertically on the flat part of your dutch lap, or I've seen some guys install it horizontally in the "recessed" portion, so that it butts right up against a square edge.

The screws only need to hold the doorbell to the siding- they do not need to go into any wood behind. It helps to predrill a small hole in the siding. you don't want to tighten the screws too much or you'll strip the threads in the vinyl.

Old 03-21-05, 05:17 AM
HouseDr
Visiting Guest
Door bells are commonly attached to the brickmold trim on the door.

Old 03-22-05, 12:32 PM
jlietz
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I did what XSleeper said and it worked great. I bought a new smaller, circular doorbell so that it would be completely flat against the dutchlap. The rectangular one was just too "tall" to sit flat vertically and I didn't like the horizontal look.