Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

How to replace the neighbor's chipped asbestos siding?

Old 03-25-05, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

While putting on an addition to out house, our contractor rode his bulldozer alongside the neighbor's house chipping away a few pieces of their siding

This is old siding, not the aluminim or vinyl long strips of interlocking siding, but rather a series of ~9"x~9" overlapping panels said to not be made anymore since they contain asbestos

The contractor said he'd fix it up but that was 6 months ago and the neighbor's are on my back over this (and rightfully so) I could push the contractor but my wife's on my back to get this addition done already so I'm taking it in both ends.

Because this contractor says he's out of money and hit us up for another 10K I don't see him fixing their siding for free anyhow.
These neighbors aren't going to be too picky, they just want something that looks "good enough" but since these lime-green asbestos laced panels aren't made anymore, what are my options (other than replacing the entire side of their house with new siding) as far as patching this up myself?

any ideas?

-MC

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-05, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
Slate siding is still available- my lumberyard keeps it in stock, since it used to be a popular item in these parts. But it's probably not the size you refer to, nor the right texture. Ours are rectangular- about 12x24.

Perhaps you can locate something similar and patch the spot in. It's pretty difficult to get the old nails out without breaking more siding. Maco makes a shear that will get under this type of siding and cut the nails, if that helps any. I usually try to get on the head with a side cutter, and protect the siding with a wide putty knife while I attempt to pry the nail loose. When you go to reinstall the new pieces of siding, remember to put 30# felt strips wherever there is a vertical joint.

Old 03-25-05, 11:13 AM
Thats why your contractor has insurance. Or does he. Give the contractors phone number to the neighbor. Let him call him and tell him to fix it or he will contact the police and report it as any other property damage/vandalism/etc would be done. This might light a fire under him...

As far as hitting you up for another $10k, what does your contract for the job call for? Thats a well used scam by *some* contractors to try to queeze more money out of you because they screwed up bidding it or because they think they can get it. Whole different story if you change ordered a bunch of stuff or they hit complications and the contract makes room for such issues.

Old 03-26-05, 05:21 AM
HouseDr
Visiting Guest
I'm with Hellrazor...this "contractor" lacks integrity, insurance and probably basic ethics. I'd not give him another dime and find a reputable insured contractor to finish the job.

Old 03-29-05, 09:14 AM
I understand that cement based siding shingles are still being made which approximate the old Transite asbestos shingles. A few years ago a neighbor enclosed a porch and had it sided to match the rest of the house. I asked the installer about it as I thought asbestos shingles were no longer available. He explained to me that this product did not contain asbestos.