Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Need some advise on which color vinyl siding to go with

Old 03-26-05, 08:21 PM
Pdog
Visiting Guest

My wife and I are planning to vinyl side our house that current has very worn cedar shakes. We have dark brown gutters, aluminum trim and soffits, along with a very light (tan) shingled roof.

We would like to use a product that is vinyl that looks like cedar shakes. Nailite is the one company we have really been looking at.

The problem is we are not sure which color to go with. I really like the golden orange color of some of our cedar shakes, but it is impossible to find that in vinyl. We have also seen a couple of greyish colors we like, but feel it would not go well with the roof color.

I do not mind changing the gutters and all the soffit to a white to make the color work, but we are concerned about the color of the roof. I have attached some links to a couple of pics that show what our house looks like now. The cedar has really taken a beating from rain and sun.

Back of House
Front of House 1
Front of House 2

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-05, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello Pdog,

That's a really tough question to answer because it's based on personal prefference. I know what we did was take home the color sample book from Menards (Lowes offers one too) and take a couple steps back from the house and hold the color out in front of us towards the house. It helped us to visualize what the end result would look like. We also made sure to do this in both a bright area and shady area as to get a good idea of how it will ultimately look in both conditions. And were are happy with the results. One idea is to buy/borrow a book of colors that graphic designers use. They're a flip book that have color combinitions in them (usually 3 different colors) and each color combonation describes a mood (based on how people react to colors). It should be really helpeful for you since you know the color of your roof and then there will be two other colors for suggestions the book would provide. I don't know what these books are called but a little Googling should help you find it.

Old 04-15-05, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just did some Googling and found this page:

http://desktoppub.about.com/library/.../aa072101b.htm

It's a list of suggestions on books on color combinations that you know will work together (not clash, but really work together and take the guess work out of the choose process).

Old 04-15-05, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
Timmy,

It looks like you've made a good choice with the Nailite shake shingle siding. Let me make a few suggestions regarding the color.

Your roof is one of the least permanent parts of the house. Someday it will get re-roofed, and when it does, you'll likely select a color that goes well with the siding- just the opposite of what you are trying to decide right now! So I wouldn't factor in the roof too heavily in your decision. (When you do change the roof, I'd get rid of the 3-tabs and go with architectural laminated shingles- such as Tamco Rustic Red, Weathered Wood, or the like).

The part of your house that you really need to base your color scheme on is the brick entryway. Those bricks have several colors in them, and you need to select a siding color that compliments some or all of those colors.

Having said that, look at the following link and I'll give you my opinions regarding what colors I would consider for your home. http://www.nailiteinternational.com/samples.html

RoughSawn Cedar Color Panels:
Sunset Cedar, Harvest Cedar, Desert Clay, Desert Sand, Khaki, Barn Red

Hand-Split Shake Color Panels:
Traditional Cedar, Natural Cedar, Potter's Clay, Barn Red

NEW Cape Cod Perfection Color Panels:
Desert Sand, Barn Red, Desert Clay, Khaki

I really don't think that you can go wrong with any of these colors, but it's up to you which way you want to go. Right now the dark colors on the house are not at all appealing. A lighter color would certainly highlight your beautiful landscaping.

The house would also look good with different shutters, something custom made, perhaps. I'm thinking a different style than what you currently have, and not quite as wide. Perhaps three vertical 1x3's cut in a cathedral, gothic or dog-ear fashion, tied together with 2 horizontals. These could be painted in a color to compliment your siding. A definite DIY project.