Reside/Reinsulate house

Old 03-29-05, 08:35 AM
putzing
Visiting Guest
Reside/Reinsulate house

This is a theorhetical question. My house (just moved in Dec 2004) was really cold this winter. It was built in 1954. What if I wanted to take off all the siding, strip the outside down to the 2x4s, then put on sheet insulation and new siding, what materials do I put on and in what order? I think a vapor barrier goes on somewhere but where?

Does the order go, 2x4s, vapor barrier, wood OSB sheeting, foam insulation, vinyl siding?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-05, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Before looking to insulate the walls, how much insulation do you have in the attic? The attic insulation is much more important than wall insulation.

Old 03-29-05, 10:23 AM
putzing
Visiting Guest
I have about 10" of blown cellulose in the attic. However, the kitchen was about 8 degrees colder on average, because it it not carpeted like the rest of the house, it is linoleum, and the whole house is on a slab. And the kitchen walls themselves seem to have a draft coming right through them on really cold days.
(Walls are lathe and plaster and paneling in whole house.)

Old 03-29-05, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
10" of cellulose is not sufficient in Michigan, so I'd have to agree with Chris. Adding insulation in your attic will be the best use of your money, if keeping the house warm is what you are after.

If you do decide to strip off the old siding, you probably don't need to remove all the sheathing down to the 2x4's. Drilling holes in the sheeting to see if there is insulation would be your first step. If there is no insulation, you can drill holes in the sheathing and blow it in. The house should then be covered with building paper (tarpaper or tyvek) windows and doors will need to be reflashed behind the building paper, and then if you wish to add foam insulation to increase your r-value, then it would go on next.

In Michigan, vapor barrier would go on the inside of your home, behind the drywall, so unless you're planning on tearing out all your lathe and plaster, forget the vapor barrier for now.