Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Paint/Stain the existing cedar siding to a lighter color

Old 03-30-05, 10:08 AM
yfct
Visiting Guest

Hi, I have cedar siding which is stained in cedar tone. I'd like to change the color to a white tone. Can I just simply clean the siding and stain it with a ligter color, maybe in double layer? Can the old color be covered in this application without resulting in a thick look on the wall? Any other suggestions are highly appreciated? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-05, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you mean to use one of the semi-transparent or solid stains, the coverage may be adequate to change the color. Usually, stain needs to be removed for applying a new color. The stain used on houses is not a true stain many times, it is more of a paint. You might try a sample application in the oft-cited inconspicuous place to see if it works as you wish.

Old 03-30-05, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
I'd agree with Chris, that solid color stain would probably work best- but add that it would provide better coverage than a semi-transparent stain. I've done my fair share of painting- especially with latex stains, and I'm sceptical that semi-transparent would even cover. I'd also guess that 2 coats of solid color stain would be needed for a consistant color / coverage.

This would be a good question to post in the Decorating / Painting forum where all the hard-core painters hang out.