How thick is the insulation under the vinyl?

Old 11-20-01, 11:35 AM
bill sexton
Visiting Guest
VCR belt

I removed a stretched belt from the bottom of my old RCA VCR Model# vkt 400 . It was around the largest pulley on the bottom of the VCR. It is about 4.5" in diameter. I went to a RCA dealer who told me that if I couldn't name the belt I would have to buy a complete belt kit. Can anyone tell me which belt this might be and if I can buy just that belt?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-05, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How thick is the insulation under the vinyl?

Going to strip the cedar shakes, wrap the house with tyvek, nail on 4x8 sheets of insulation. What thickness of insulation board do you suggest using under the vinyl siding?
If the walls turn out to be wavy, wouldn't the 4x8 sheets give me a better base than fanfold?
Last question. If I use 4x4 sheets should it have reflective foil on one side?
Thank you.

Old 04-02-05, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
If you strip the house down to the sheathing, and wrap the house in tyvek, you do not have to install insulation before you side. The only reason to add foam insulation in this instance would be to increase the r-value of the home, which admittedly is a good idea, and before you side the house, it's the best time to do it. If that is your goal, you probably want the best 4' x 8' x 1" foam insulation out there. There's also a difference in 4x8 insulations- there are 3 main types: XPS, ISO and EPS.

EPS is basically the white styrofoam panels. Some siding installers will install 3/4 EPS sheets, which have an r-value of about 3 or less, depending on how tightly it is installed.

XPS is extruded and is usually blue, yellow or pink, depending on the brand. It is much more rigid, and is r-5 per inch. 1" is the most common thickness of this insulation.

ISO is often referred to by its common brand names, such as Tuff-R or Thermax. It boasts an r-7 per inch, but is also subject to degradation as its closed cells degrade, off-gas, or take on moisture. After a period of time, it's reported that ISO is no longer superior to XPS, and in many ways, it is even inferior. ISO does have a foil facing which should be installed toward the warm side of the home (in heating climates) or toward the exterior (in cooling climates). The danger of using a foil faced product in a heating climate (such as MI) is the possibility of creating a double vapor barrier- one behind your drywall, one on the exterior of the home, which could potentially create a moisture problem within your walls if the conditions were right for it. In cold climates, EnergyStar actually recommends using ISO on the inside of the framing to act as a vapor barrier and to reflect heat back toward the home before it enters the wall cavity.

The fanfold you mentioned is a type of XPS, and is used by contractors when siding over existing siding materials, (to create a flat wall surface) but it should not be used to increase the r-value of a home, since it's r-value is practically non-existant and even when all the seams are taped it's r-value is less than R-1 (basically a little more than a dead air space). In other words, if you think you are using fanfold to insulate your home, you're wasting your money.

Old 04-03-05, 04:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
XPS is what it will be. Thank you so much for the well thought out information.