no house wrap

Old 04-03-05, 07:41 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
no house wrap

just found out from my new neighbors that the builder never installed a house wrap. I pulled off some of the vinyl siding to check, and he's right. No house wrap of anykind. No tar paper or tyvek.
Now ive been in this house about 6 months (all this winter) and the drafts were no worse than "normal" (some around outlets).
**Isnt it a code requirenment for a house to be wrapped?** I live in Northern IN.
House under 1 year old so i guess its still under warranty.?

BTW under the siding is regular OSB

Old 04-03-05, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 941 Votes on 859 Posts
According to the Indiana Residential Code http://www.in.gov/sema/osbc/techserv/res_code.pdf amended on 3/24/2004, building paper was not required prior to that date. According to that document, Table R703.4 was amended so as to require building paper on all residential applications effective on 3/24/2004.

Why anyone in their right mind thought it was OK to skip the building paper is beyond me. Someone ought to get sued over this, but I'm not sure who.

Old 04-03-05, 08:21 PM
C
Thanks very much for the Code Quote!
I was going to call my county building Comish tomorrow to get the low down.
I figured it needed at least the tar paper. You betch someone is going to pay...and it wont be me. I have a few other issues to that will be discussed with the building comish.

Thanks again for the info!!

Old 04-03-05, 08:28 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It's possible the wrap is under the OSB. If so, you wouldn't see it.

Why do your neighbors say there is none?

Old 04-03-05, 08:32 PM
C
there is none under the osb in the spots that i can check.
neighbors are very watchful and all three noticed they put the siding up without any housewrap.

Old 04-04-05, 06:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
The only reason a builder would not use a house wrap is because he is CHEAP! I would inspect everything I could to make sure that is not the only corner he cut. Wish you luck

Old 04-04-05, 02:40 PM
C
yeah i agree except one thing. The code was recently ammended to include wrapping the house. About 4 months prior to the building. Still.....inspectors should have caught the situation.
Anyway, i talked to the local building comish today and he said , yes it is code. So, next step will be to contact builder about the situation.
Before i tell him about this im going to have him fix the minor problems, than spring this one on him. Because I suspect he may give me problems after i inform him that all the brick veneer (sp?) and siding needs wrap.

Old 04-04-05, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 941 Votes on 859 Posts
good idea Chicago111. Let us know how it all turns out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: