Siding help

Old 04-06-05, 04:27 PM
brookwood61
Visiting Guest
Siding help

Hi All-

I am thinking of purchasing an older trailer, 72 Fairmont, that will need sided with vinyl(park rules). It's a great trailer, great price, and great location.
Many repairs including heating and plumbing, have allready been done. The floors are solid also.

If anyone has any tips on installing the siding, thanks in advance.
I found this forum today, and found it enjoyable to read.

I can do house siding, but a trailer is a little different.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-05, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Welcome to the forum
For the most part you can install the siding similiar to a house. All the studs are on 16" centers [they are notched and have 1X2 slats running horizontally. The thing that would worry me most is the fact that with out an overhang you want to make sure that water doesn't get behind the siding causing damage not readily seen. Personally I would strip the trailer with 1X3's install 3/4" foam in between. You also can take out the windows and doors and fur them out too.

Old 04-07-05, 01:41 PM
brookwood61
Visiting Guest
Ty for the welcome & the advice.

The top is what had me scratching my head. One idea that came to mind while looking at it, was to build an overhang from 2 x 4's, also giving me a place to hang gutters. But that would require a new roof skin, or pull the old skin up on the edges, and underlay the overhang wrap. Trailer is 14 x 65. Does anyone have an idea of what the roof would cost? It would have to be wider to cover the overhang also.

Thanks

Old 04-07-05, 05:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would definetly opt for a roof over. It would solve alot of problems in the future. You could get a price from one of the companies that specialize in reroofing trailers. You also might consider framing and installing a more conventional roof yourself. I believe it would be difficult to just add an overhang [what would support it?]

Old 04-07-05, 06:39 PM
brookwood61
Visiting Guest
I had in mind just one 2 x 4, with the short side beveled to follow the slight angle of the roof. Screwed flush to the top frame. Then the overlay wrapping the 2 x 4 also. The overhang would only be 1/2" - 3/4" after installing the
1 x 3's for the siding. That would be just enough overhang to catch water with a gutter.

I like the shingle idea, and I will check into it also, thanks.

That's what's great about old trailers, you can do alot with them.

Old 04-08-05, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think I understand what you mean with the 2X4 but I believe it would be extremly difficult to get the roof metal to cover it. I'm not sure their is enough metal to go 2" If money allows I believe you would be happiest with a conventioal type roof.