exterior paint peeling

Old 04-07-05, 01:44 PM
george maxtor
Visiting Guest
exterior paint peeling

what would be the right way for me to paint the exterior of my house?

wood shingles, i assume they are pine, peeling. bare wood exposed in spots. can i just scrape the loose paint? or should i sand everything down to bare wood ?

i live on the east coast, near new haven conn.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-05, 04:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 140 Votes on 125 Posts
Scraping would be fine. Biggest reason to sand is to visually eliminate the edges. Make sure you use a good primer. If there is any chaulk on the surface it needs to be removed or painted over with oil base primer. If you prefer to paint over chaulk with latex, Flood's emulsa bond is a good additive to help the paint bond.
The better the prep job and the better the material the longer the paint will last. Have fun.

Old 04-07-05, 10:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 244 Votes on 225 Posts
I would recommend scraping only the loose paint working with a good carbide scraper and a stiff putty knife.

The biggest mistake people make before painting is skipping the primer. Whatever bare wood you expose will need to be primed. Only then should you apply the top coat of paint.

Old 04-22-05, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exterior paint peeling

I watched the crew next door work on the house with a peeling exterior paint situation.

First they scraped with long carbide scrapers, then they powerwashed. Then they sprayed primer, then sprayed finish coat. Not sure if one or two coats of finish.

I do not know if this is the best way to go as the house was bought in foreclosure and they were doing as fast a job as they could.

Old 04-22-05, 01:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 140 Votes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by dvarga
I watched the crew next door work on the house with a peeling exterior paint situation.

First they scraped with long carbide scrapers, then they powerwashed. Then they sprayed primer, then sprayed finish coat. Not sure if one or two coats of finish.

I do not know if this is the best way to go as the house was bought in foreclosure and they were doing as fast a job as they could.
I would never prime after power washing without rescraping. The pressure washer often will loosen up paint not previously scraped. Usually will pressure wash then scrape, prime and paint. Only reason to scrape first is if there is so much loose paint the pressure washing would send paint scales everywhere.