7 foot Ceilings?

Old 04-08-05, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
7 foot Ceilings?

I'm renovating an entry to my house, where the ceilings are only 7 feet up from the floor (84"). My problem is this...I've been told that I need to put two studs at the top for the cap plate, but I also need to put a header over my 80" door. I've also been told that if I want my door to be able to open over any flooring I put down, I should make the rough hole 82.5". This adds up to needing a minimum of 87" and I only have 84" to work with...

Am I missing an easy way for me to resolve this dilemma? Do they even make doors shorter than 80"? Does it make it any easier that this wall is only 9 feet long, connecting the main house to the garage, so it doesn't necessarily bear too much weight?

I have family coming to help me do the renovation in a week, and I really need to get this figured out between now and then.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-05, 09:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 176 Votes on 156 Posts
Can you use a wooden door? If so it can be cut down. Trailers use 76" doors so that would be another option. If it is a load bearing wall the header is an absolute must.

Old 04-09-05, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I didn't realize trailer doors were 76"

As it turns out, though, I decided to do some demolition to take a look at what I had to work with, and the wall extends up above the ceiling. There's a 2x6 with the long side vertical spanning the whole wall with a 2x4 cap plate on top. The weird thing is that they set the ceiling joists lower than they needed to be, and they aren't even anchored to anything but each other by some spacers!

So if I take out the existing ceiling framing and place it on top of the cap plate, like I would expect it to be, I can elevate my ceiling by about 5", which solves my problem nicely.