Help...Painting over asbestos shingles

Old 04-15-05, 11:40 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help...Painting over asbestos shingles

I hired a professional painter to paint the exterior of my house. That is when I found out I had asbestos shingles. Obviously I'm a first time homeowner and completely clueless. Anyway, the painter mentioned that he will be sanding down the entire house before applying primer and 2 coats of Sherman William wood stain.

Does this make sense? Is it safe? I'm concerned because I've already put down a deposit.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-15-05, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Wood stain? That's the part that I would question.

Old 04-15-05, 08:11 PM
Asbestos Shingles

He may be 100% correct. They made 2 types of asbestos shingles. One was mixed with slate. I used to have that one. The other is probably the one you have. The stain is ok, it is the sanding of the asbestos that I question. Asbestos undesturbed is harmless. But when you make dust out of it, it is bad stuff. You cannot dump it into the air. Call your county Health Dept and ask them for their input on sanding it. Good Luck

Old 04-16-05, 07:10 AM
J
Jack,

Will the wood stain take on the asbestos shingles? and last? I will have to talk to the painter about just powerwashing and priming the asbestos and only sanding the actual wood parts of the house.

Thank you!!

Last edited by jodios; 04-16-05 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-11-05, 10:50 PM
painting asbestos siding

my house has asbestos siding. we cleaned it with soap and water with a brush on the end of a garden hose and went over the entire house to make sure it is clean of all dirt etc. we then used a latex primer paint of your choice to paint it .we used 3 inch brushes.be sure to get under where each piece piece of siding overlaps to seal in well. we painted our two story house in 2 days. it lasted for 12 years before we decided to paint again. not to bad that was with one coat of paint.do not sand it .you dont have to. this siding soaks up paint like a sponge. you may need two coats depending on what color you choose. we choose a gray blue,kind of lighter color. good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: