House Wrap substitute under siding

Old 04-16-05, 07:27 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,182
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
House Wrap substitute under siding

I am replacing some siding on a wood frame house with board (actually plywood) and batten siding. The lining between the siding and insulation is black and kind of papery and fibrous - not sure what it is. I need to replace a small area of this material. I have heard about House Wrap and some other product made of Tyvek, but because most houses in south Florida are concrete block, most stores don't carry it. I did find a huge roll at one Lowe's, $150. I only need a few square feet.

Any suggestions for a substitute material? Apparently it has to be breathable but waterproof.

Old 04-16-05, 07:59 AM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 18,386
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Stay in one post on a subject it helps . A MOD will move you if you are in the wrong post.
Like said ask for 15lb felt paper or down here go with 30 lb if thats all they have.

Old 04-30-05, 03:57 PM
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Farmersville Texas
Posts: 175
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The black paper between the old siding and insulation is felt paper. Before Tyvek, felt paper is what was used to wrap a house.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: