Facia question

Old 04-19-05, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Facia question

I have never done any siding at all (that will be apparent). Here is the situation. The house that I purchased is missing a 12' long facia under the gutter in the back of the house.

I purchase a 12' x 6" aluminum facia.

Should I prime the wood under it prior to nailing it in place. ?

Can I assume that the facia slips under the drip edge at the top so that water runs down it?

What tools will be necessary? I have the basics (hammer, drill, tin snips, etc). Do I need anything else?

Thanks,

Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-05, 08:33 AM
IHI
No need to primer, guess I've never seen anybody ever do that in my time.

Everything else you mentioned is correct, you may want to get some regular painted trim nails so when your nailing it into place they blend into the fascia.

Only thing you'll have to really measure is amount of room from under drip edge to bottom of fasica board, 6" may come out perfect, it may not be wide enough, or it may need to be trimmed to 5 1/4" so just be prepared for something liek that.

Old 04-19-05, 08:39 AM
It did look like 5 1/4. Can I bend it to wrap under the eave or do I need to cut it? Anything special for the end of the piece? Is there some caulking or edging to prevent moisture in from the end?

And I have the white finishing nails too.

Thanks,
Pete

Old 04-19-05, 08:44 AM
IHI
Just overlap the joints a minimum of 1", then I usually put a nail in the center of the joint, all your basically doing is tacking the fascia trim up anyways, since all the gutter spikes/screws are going to be doing 90% of the holding anyways.

If this piece goes on the end of a run, measure over from that end about 1", cut out a notch and bend it over 90* so the end will have a finished apperance and less likly to get water blowing directly behind the fasica as well as looking bad.

On runs where no gutter are being used-all gable ends-I'll use construction adhesive on the back side of the fascia before pushing up into place. It 1. temporarily hold the aluminum up so you grab your nails/hammer, and 2. prevents it from wanting to wrinkle when the sun beats on it after the adhesive sets up-just makes for a cleaner install as well as having that holding ablilty

Old 04-19-05, 08:55 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Pete

Old 04-20-05, 03:04 AM
Nevertheless, it is a good idea to finish all six surfaces of the board to prevent damage from water in the long term. Caulk over the cut end will keep water out, too.