New Paint Job - wrong color

Old 04-19-05, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Paint Job - wrong color

The hired painters confused the request of the previous owner. White house with yellow trim/shutters.

The house is now with white trim/shutters and the most vibrant yellow exterior one can imagine.

Can I tone this down some how? Not minding yellow but just not glow in the dark yellow.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-05, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
The only way to tone the color down is with another coat of paint. I painted a house a bright yellow one time. I thought it looked awfull, then the landscapers came, installed a lot of greenery and the house really looked sharp. All the shurbery in front of the yellow made the yellow peek out. Of course in the back where they did no planting it was still a shocker.

Old 04-19-05, 02:34 PM
A signed contract is important. Look at fine print. If you have no contract and not a cooperative dealer, then you may end up in a yellow house,

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-20-05 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-20-05, 03:33 AM
thx.

i like the idea of the shrubs. I'm sure this will help but will likely still paint a lighter shade. Can I just paint a lighter shade of yellow over the bright. Certainly would be easier as it was just recently painted so it could act as primer.

as for the contract, you're right. Unfortunately, the job was contracted by the previous owner. We just purchased the house and inherited the canary.

Old 04-20-05, 06:37 AM
Not so sure a lighter shade will adequately cover the darker shade of yellow. When going from darker colors to lighter, it often requires covering the darker color with primer.

Old 04-20-05, 11:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Can I just paint a lighter shade of yellow over the bright.

Depends on the paint and the differance in color. Yellows and pinks are the two hardest colors to get to cover. I would either find a yellow [and the better the paint the better the coverage] that will cover with one coat or plan on 2 coats.

There are some paints that claim one coat coverage, you might check them out.

Old 04-21-05, 05:03 AM
thanks

that's the ideal. I'll search for the best quality "light" yellow and give it try. Not too big a deal if i have to do two coats as it's only the front of the house. But prefer to not have to prime plus 2 coats.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-22-05, 03:46 AM
jhb
Visiting Guest
Prime plus 2 coats? wow, never heard of that with quality paint. Primer and one coat is all I have ever needed.

Actually, I painted a living room red with Ralph Lauren paint, took 7 coats! Still never looked right. Red is hard, but the paint quality did not help any.