exterior paint peeling, lead question

Old 04-22-05, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exterior paint peeling, lead question

I have a multifamily house that I live in and own, built in 1920 and I bought it last year. The exterior is peeling pretty badly and this year I have to take the plunge and remedy it.

I checked out siding, and a sears medium quality job weighs in at well over $20K. That could add some insulation value and take care of future paint jobs, but yikes! that is expensive so that is out of the question.

So on to painting and my concern about lead.

QUESTION: Should I take some paint chips and have them tested? What kind of a place tests for that?

QUESTION: I have tenants and neighbors, if I begin scraping, could they reasonably object if the results come in that there is lead in the paint?

I am hoping that there is not lead. If the house is 85 years old, and every lets say 8 years it needs to be painted, that is a paint job at least 10X. I look at the paint chips and they are not that thick, so maybe since the 70s when they stopped using paint with lead, this house was sanded down, as I said the paint chips are not thick.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-05, 01:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 141 Posts
The odds are that any lead paint on the exterior are long gone. Since you have tenants I would play it say and have it tested. Check your yellow pages to find out who does it. Only loose lead paint chips [and areas that children can chew on] are a hazard to be concerned with. Wish you luck