Fascia removal

Old 04-22-05, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fascia removal

I am having a carpenter bee issue, where there are getting in under the fascia and attacking unfinished wood underneath. They are really going after right under the roof line, especially at the dormers. I would like to pull the aluminum fascia off the house a little more, so I can get behind, fill the holes and paint the wood. Is this easy to do? Please look at the pics at this link:
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/fallon12345

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-05, 11:42 PM
Soffitt Removal

I looked at your site. Only the first picture showed your soffitt. It was the picture with two cars and a crooked garbage can. The other 3 photo's showed your gables. Sorry to tell you, but your gables ends were not sided correctly. Look at your photo's and you can see the house at the ends of the siding. You should not be able to do this. Where is the J channel. It is not there. I think this is where the bees are getting in. If it is, you have a big problem. You will probably need to get a siding contractor to take care of this. This will not be easy to fix. Good Luck. On you original question, once you take this metal soffit off, you will need to install new soffitt. It is stapled or nailed in, and removing it usually ruins it.

Old 04-24-05, 02:12 AM
Cost

I am sure this is a tough question, but what do you think the approximate cost would be to fix this? I have 4 dormers, and perhaps the sides of the house along the roofline would need to be fixed as well. I live in NJ. Any questions I should ask?

Old 04-24-05, 03:13 AM
Soffitt Removal

That is tough, but I would guess about $1500. Materials will be about$300 to $400. It is very labor intensive. I would look for a siding contractor, since they are used to working with siding. Not much to ask about, it is all pretty straight forward. Good Luck

Old 04-24-05, 03:18 AM
Urgency

Do you think it is urgent I get this done soon? Is the only reason to get it done to keep the bees out?

Thank you very much for your expert advice, it is definitely appreciated.

Old 04-24-05, 03:32 AM
Soffitt Removal

I am not sure if it is urgent or not. I don't have the bees. Moisture will also get in behind the siding also. You have to make this call, not me. Good Luck