Outdoor Staircase

Old 04-28-05, 06:23 AM
RobbieD111
Visiting Guest
Question Outdoor Staircase

Hey All - I'm building a staircase from one level of our lawn to another. Don't want to use treated lumber for fear of killing the grass, etc. below it (wife would NOT be happy!)

Anyone used Plastic lumber for such an application? The rise is @ 80", run @ 100"+ and I'm aiming for 10" treads. Stringers will be 2x12 wood & the plastic would be the 4x4 posts, treads & railings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-05, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RobbieD111,

You don't have to worry about treated lumber killing the grass. In fact, the treated lumber you buy today is practically safe enough to eat (don't try that at home ). They changed the formula a year or two ago, but even the old stuff was harmless to grass.

As for plastic lumber, there are quite a few alternatives to look at. Check at the big box stores, they can help out there. I would also look up a local lumber dealer, or even a treated lumber dealer believe it or not. I usually get better prices and better advise from these types of businesses than I do from the big box stores.

As far as I know, however, most of these products are non-stuctural in nature. You still need a real wood structure underneath.

Good luck,