Siding ?

Old 04-29-05, 01:11 AM
Bob C
Visiting Guest
Siding ?

Did a quick look at a home for sale that had some problems. House built in 1988 had masonite siding and was replaced with vinyl at some point. There has been water damage around the foundation and in several areas the underlayment has rotted at ground level and you can see to the outside.
The underlayment appears to be nothing more than 3/16" or 1/4" compressed board. Is this possible? Shouldn't it be something more substantial. There appears to be no other sheathing. Would this have been ok with the original more substantial masonite siding but now it's only a thin layer of vinyl.

Thanks for any input.

Old 04-29-05, 02:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
My guess would be that the masonite was not replaced but covered over with vinyl. Although masonite can look nice, if not properly protected from the elements it is easily destroyed. Vinyl should have at least a 1/2" backer to nail and support it.

Old 04-29-05, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I've done work on mobile homes before that had nice 2x6 walls, but then were sheathed with 1/4" OSB. Homeowners are so disappointed when they find out the deficiencies of their homes.

The sheathing ought to be thicker. The big bad wolf could blow a house like that down! The mobile home I was referring to also had vinyl siding, but they had attempted to nail the siding into the studs, which at least was a decent way to do it. Sadly, the jokers who built the home skipped the tyvek/tarpaper.

In my opinion, if the builders cut corners on the sheathing like that, there are probably other corners they cut that you just haven't noticed yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: