vinyl vs steel siding - performance, look, & cost

Old 04-28-05, 03:19 PM
jstalarico
Visiting Guest
vinyl vs steel siding - performance, look, & cost

We are in the process of collecting bids for siding our house. We've talked to a company about steel seamless siding. They are, of course, talking up their product.

Any thoughts on the benefit of steel over vinyl? Steel seems awfully costly, but still waiting on the bid for vinyl.

We're in the middle of the US and we do see the extremes of heat and cold. Should this be a major factor in our decision?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-05, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl comes in many colors and is usually easier (and cheaper) to install. It is also easier to fix if it gets damaged. Iíve replaced a couple strips on my house. Steel siding also has lots of color options that do not fade over time and need to be repainted (unlike the old aluminum siding). Steel siding does cost quite a bit more and can dent. If you have kids who play sports near the house that should be a consideration.

Old 04-29-05, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl vs Steel Siding

Drop down on the threads to 4/26/05 and read the thread Vinyl vs Aluminum siding. All your questions will bew answered there.

Old 04-30-05, 05:15 AM
jstalarico
Visiting Guest
Thanks! I guess I've heard both "steel" and "aluminum" and have similar comparisons of each, but didn't realize they were interchangeable. Also, thanks for some info in other threads about who to stay away from. I figured that these "big guys" are the ones with more experience, etc., but maybe we should investigate some local guys? Any suggestions on how to get in touch with the right contractor and/or tips on making that decision?

Thanks!