Tyvek over Asbestos Shingles

Old 05-06-05, 02:41 PM
jbaha14
Visiting Guest
Tyvek over Asbestos Shingles

I am in the process of getting bids for replacing old aluminum siding with vinyl siding. I have been told that I may have asbestos shingles under the aluminum siding. Two contractors have come in to give me bids and one contractor has said they would take down the aluminum and tyvek the house then put the vinyl up. The other contractor has said they would take down the old aluminum then put up the new vinyl.

My questions are this:

1- Is is wise to have the house wrapped in Tyvek?
2- How would the Tyvek be fastened to the house if I have the shingles still there?

Thank you to anybody for their help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-05, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
1). Yes. the Tyvek will provide protection from the water that gets behind your vinyl siding.

2). They would likely either use a staple gun with metal disks or cap nails. However in my opinion it's a bad idea to leave the asbestos/slate siding on. It should come off too.

Old 05-06-05, 08:52 PM
IHI
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Over time the vinyl over asbestos siding jobs I've seen, the slate tiles will crack/break when they're driving in the new nails and those bits and pieces will plinco down and form buldges or bellies behind the vinyl that will make the job look really bad.

Old 05-06-05, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
Yes, IHI, exactly. Some guys will apply a layer of white EPS styrofoam to the entire house when it has slate/asbestos shingle siding (to try and keep all those broken pieces in place), but a lot of the time, those houses will have little or no building paper underneath that slate siding. Everywhere there is a nail, the siding will shatter, creating places for water to enter, and styrofoam is not watertight. Bad, bad deal is right.

So the tyvek is a very good idea regardless of whether or not the slate stays on or comes off. (but IMHO it ought to come off!)

Old 05-07-05, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with the others on all counts. Tyvek is a good idea, but letting those old shingles underneath can be a big problem.