cleaning vinyl siding

Old 05-17-05, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question cleaning vinyl siding

I have white vinyl siding which gets mildew and shows the dirt so I wash my house every year. I know there is a Housewash product available at Walmart, but was wondering if it's really safe to use. - I have used bathroom shower sprays to help get the mildew off (don't know if that's very good for my siding, but it does the job). I guess what I'm asking is what product do you recommend and what is an easy method of doing the job?
Thanks. Cats

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-05, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
I would use Tide detergent in hot water, or a product called TSP (another detergent) which is sold in most hardware stores. But then again, I don't care about the plants that might be growing there.

On vinyl siding, you really don't have to worry about killing the mold, you just need to wash it off. Mold doesn't like to stick to slick surfaces. Borax detergent is suggested if you want to do both.

Old 05-18-05, 07:32 AM
My house is vinyl sided and I plan to power wash it. You can see the seams in the siding. Should I be concerned that water can go inbetween the seems and cause a moisture problem? I've heard that can be an issue but I know people with vinyl siding have their homes power washed all the time. Any tips I need to know?

Old 05-18-05, 05:47 PM
Vinyl siding is far from water tight anyway. Look at the bottom of the siding, it has weap holes. Just be carefull pressure washing, keep the wand at the broadest fan setting you can and stay about 2-3' off the siding.

Old 05-18-05, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
When pressure washing near the seams be sure to hold the wand at an angle away from the seam. That way the water is skipping across it instead of being forced under it. Also be sure to use care around windows and doors.