?Paint failure on Aluminum siding

Old 05-19-05, 06:11 AM
RaeNZ
Visiting Guest
Wink ?Paint failure on Aluminum siding

I have just bought a house with aluminum siding with a really crappy paint job. I don't know if it the surface wasn't prep'ed right, or if paint not intended for aluminum was used, or if there was some other kind of problem but there are patches (and only patches, it isn't uniform) all over the house where the paint is cracked. It isn't chipping off at all - it is just having issues! My questions is how should I deal with those patches before re-painting - do I need to strip the rest of the paint off first, do I need to sand (and if so, what grade sandpaper should I use), would steel wool be enough, can I just give the rest of the house a jolly good cleaning then re-prime and paint or is there something more technical that I need to do? Any thoughts tips and hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Rae

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-05, 06:22 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
Well you need to sand the spot off and clean it with degreasser.
to remove oil stain.
you need special aliminium paint form your local paint store

If you could afford it i would have ninyl install.
dont crack, chip, peel and NO MAINTANANCE

Old 05-19-05, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
As long as the paint is well bonded to the surface it was probably prepped correctly. The cracking paint was probably caused by the paint being applied to heavy in the hot sun. I would sand those areas down and then repaint. I doubt there is a need to reprime. I have always used good exterior house paint on aluminum. There is a rental house across town that I was forced to do as cheap as possible 12 tears ago and it still looks good [at least what you see from driving by] Wish you good luck with your new house.