Mold and Fiber-cement Siding

Old 05-20-05, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold and Fiber-cement Siding

Just had a long talk with a professional siding guy, 32 years in business, runs a very successful company in the midwest. He installs ALL types of siding, no bones to pick or grudges, but says he is now steering completely clear of Hardiplank and other fibercement-type sidings. According to him: no matter what you do, serious mold WILL occur. Says many class-action lawsuits in the works. Company always says it's the installer or the painter or whatever, but he says it is a fundamental defect in the product.

Don't know what to think: any input on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-05, 09:22 PM
Guess it's possible since fibercement is usually nailed directly to the sheathing (with or with tar paper or plastic wrap) which means no airspace to help in drying when sheathing inevitably gets wet. I guess any other lap siding is installed the same way (eg wood) but fibercement may be so dense vapor might not be able to pass thru so absent the airspace sheathing is slower to dry with fibercement. But fibercement has been used everywhere for the last 6-7 years so if there is a problem with it, I would have thought it would have showed up en masse by now.

Maybe it has the curse of being the next "can't miss product" which may be the kiss of death - I remember polybutylene was supposed to be the future of plumbing and it turned out to be the world's first biodegradable supply pipes.

Also wern't there some fibercement roof shingles that flopped several years ago? Roofing is a much harsher use than siding but I wonder if the fiber cement manufacturers just took the stuff that couldn't handle roofing and used it for the easier application of siding.

Old 05-21-05, 07:34 PM
I got that Louisiana Pacific LP Lap Siding junk on my house. THat stuff and that Masonite stuff is the big mold problems siding. I think it comes done to installation and maintenance. Mold will grow anywhere even on brick homes if not more. Hardi is fine if put up RIGHT! Or you could skip it build a brick house, but if they don't mortar it right you get big time cracks etc. etc. all siding has its bad sides..

Old 07-21-05, 03:54 PM
Very wrong. Mildew will accumalate on Hardie but not mold. Mildew will accumalate on anything in the right climates. It does not effect that material whatsoever. Just wash it off. I store a lot of Hardie and it is all outside all the time. I have never had a problem.