help! 200yr old log home--what do I do?

Old 07-04-05, 01:18 PM
southofhouston
Visiting Guest
help! 200yr old log home--what do I do?

I am 22 and recently inherited a 200yr old log home (desperately in need of attention)--the old part is black (logs) and white (chinking) and as far as I know creosote was always used before but is now illegal--the new part (1960's) has wide wood siding, black as well. Both parts need refinished, but I am still uncertain as to what to buy. At Lowe's, the only advice was to use black Olympic stain, but we really were hoping for a treatment that would not need to be reapplied for at least 5 years. I truly am desperate for good advice since no one seems to have the answers--thank you!, -Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-05, 03:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tom

Unless the sun significantly fades the black stain it should last for 5 years or so. After they banned creosote they came out with a product called blacksote. It looks about the same but doesn't have the tell tell odor of creosote. I have only seen it for sell in feed stores although the only one that sold it here burnt down so I don't know if it is still available or not.

Although they often require a lot of work the old homes are often the nicest IMO. Wish you luck and hope you enjoy your new [to you] home.

Old 07-05-05, 06:14 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Although there are probably no inconspicuous places on a house, I would choose one and try to clean it to see what happens. Pick a spot and try cleaning it with bleach 25% in water with a dash of Tide. Wet the spot with water, apply the mixture, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then scrub it lightly to agitate the mixture, then rinse thoroughly. Now look at what you have. If it came off clean, the black was mildew. At least what you have now is clean, so you can evaluate how it looks when it is clean.

If you decide to apply the stain, be sure to clean the entire house beforehand to insure a clean surface. A clean, sound surface is an important part of a good paint or stain job.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-07, 05:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I just finished the interior renovation of an 1850 log cabin with an addition, probably similar to the one you have, maybe not as nice. I think the painter used the Sikken's stuff on the exterior. Took a long time. I'm no painter, so I guess it was normal. It looked rich after the staining. Hope yours comes out as well. Do what you can to restore it. They're not any more of them.
Without any advertising intended go to www.chandlerscarpentry.com to see about some ideas. Click on projects two. The stain hadn't been applied at that time but it really helped the looks.