Ridge Vent but no soffit venting?

Old 08-04-05, 04:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ridge Vent but no soffit venting?

I moved into my house, a ranch, in May of 2004. Before the purchase I was told by the previous owners that the roof had been redone in 2003. During the inspection the house inspector pointed out that a ridge vent had been installed but that there were no soffit vents. The siding contractor installed material over the soffits that looks like vinyl with many small holes in it...sort of a perforation, which is useless since there are no holes through the soffit leading into the attic?
My question is how do I remove the piece that is covering the soffit up so I can cut holes to allow for air flow through the perforation?

regards,

Joe

Old 08-04-05, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
How do you know that there are no soffit vents underneath the perforated vinyl soffit? Was the inspector in the attic?

Old 08-05-05, 07:06 AM
How do I know...

Hi XSleepr,
Yes I actually accompanied the inspector into the attic and not only did we NOT find any holes but the insulation also runs right up to the edges and would cover them as well.

Old 08-05-05, 07:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
It is doubtful the house was built with out soffit vents. If they are covered up with insulation you wouldn't see them. You might take another look in the attic and move insulation. When you find the original vents you can install stryrofoam panels to keep the air passage clear.

Old 08-05-05, 09:17 AM
Since it's Aug my attic is probably over 100 degrees. The house is a single story and I can easily reach the soffits with a ladder, I'd prefer to do this from the outside instead of climbing around my attic amongst the insulation slowly baking to death
Is it just TO HARD to remove the perforated soffits from the outside to have a look for the holes?

JOE

Old 08-05-05, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
The thing is, you'd need to remove all your vinyl soffit to find them. And you're going to have to get into the attic eventually to remove that insulation from your allow ways anyway. You will probably want to vent every rafter bay with styrofoam proper vents, as marksr mentioned. The insulation then gets tucked back under the proper vent so that that top plate of your wall is insulated.

I also think it's doubtful that there would be no holes cut in your plywood soffit, underneath your perforated vinyl. All you would have to do is remove that insulation way down at the end of the rafter, and you should be able to see a little light coming from somewhere. A handheld mirror can help you look down the soffit.

So realistically, you're going to have to get up there anyway. Just cutting holes won't do you any good until you move the insulation and put in the styrofoam vents. It's just that this isn't the time of year to do it. Sounds like an autumn job to me.

To remove the vinyl soffit, you should use an vinyl siding unlock tool, and unzip one piece from another where they interlock. You might be able to take a few nails out of the fascia and bend it back far enough to get one out. But getting them out is often easier than getting them back in.

Old 08-05-05, 11:05 AM
Thanks XSleeper & marsr for your replies.
Hopefully your right and the holes are there so all I have to do is properly place the insulation so the air-flow can do it's thing. Cutting holes into the soffit does not sound like fun.

Old 08-05-05, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Just one other idea.... take a straightened out coat hanger and poke around through your vent holes. You should poke into plywood most places, but if they centered the vents, you probably have some metal grills covering your soffit vent holes. I would think you would be able to tell if you ran the coat hanger into one of them if you were up on a ladder, right next to it.

Old 08-05-05, 08:52 PM
S
kleetus,

Did the inspector just go into the attic and look around without moving any insulation? Could be a good chance the proper venting is underneath the insulation already. I would go up there and remove the insulation and check to see if the styrofoam vents are in.

I like the coat hanger idea. I keep a couple coat hangers hanging on the pegboard in the garage. Ya just never know.....

Ron

Old 08-05-05, 09:03 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What year was the house built? I know around this area there are more houses than not built in the boom era that have no sofit vetns installed in the original plywood soffits. If I sell a roof or siding I prefer to either cut extremely large holes in the existing plywood soffit, but if I find the area above the top plate completely stuffed with insulation then it all comes down so I can easily get at all the insulation to remove it. Also makes it easy to install chutes and chute seals for proper venting.

Probably why I dont sell alot of roofs...I bid them so it's gonna be a long term deal so it costs more. Everybody else gets lowball bobby that just throws up some shingles and walks away...10 yrs later they got a nice curly self destructed roof that needs replaced again!!!

Old 08-05-05, 09:19 PM
Wink

If you do find vent holes in the wood part of the overhang. Lowes and HomeDepot have the foam rafter vents that you can slide over the insulation there at the outside wall so the air from the over hang can get up into the attic over the insulation.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: