Removing vinyl soffit

Old 08-09-05, 11:50 AM
dbt29649
Visiting Guest
Removing vinyl soffit

Hello, I read all the posts about the ridge vent with no soffit vents. I thought the contractor that vinyled my rafter overhang was going to cut holes in the fascia board that covered between the rafters at the top of the outside siding. He did not. So I need to remove the soffit and get rid of the fascia board, then replace the soffit. Someone mentioned a vinyl removal tool. Where can one find this? This home had open rafters at an angle (no boxing) before the vinyl soffits were added. I have already raked away the insulation to check this...help. Dave

Old 08-09-05, 12:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Never done it before (vinyl) but do know Lowes and HomeDepot have all the tools needed for installation. They should be right below the vinyl siding they sell.

Old 08-09-05, 12:27 PM
dbt29649
Visiting Guest
Thanks - I will be attacking this problem from inside the attic since my soffit is nailed in place...guess I'll lay on a piece of plywood and use a sawzall...

Dave

Old 08-09-05, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 770 Votes on 711 Posts
dbt29649,

I think you are referring to cutting out openings in your frieze blocks, not your fascia. Frieze blocks are the blocking that is installed between your rafters and above your wall, which close off the area that you now want to vent. If you cut these out from inside the attic with a reciprocating saw, you need to make real sure that you won't be cutting into your new soffit material or siding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: