A little depressed here..

Old 08-19-05, 12:42 PM
Baybun
Visiting Guest
Unhappy A little depressed here..

Yesterday my husband and myself decided to do a little inspection on the 2 mobiles I own. My husband wants to add a special kind of plywood siding, he knows the letters and numbers of what it is, I think it is 111 or something. I just knew that underneath our alum. siding there had to be plywood of some sort. Wow, after he took a piece of siding off, my jaw dropped. All there is behind the siding is insulation and the paneling and studs. No plywood. You know that makes it scary as hey. I see what little protection that I have now. Someone could easily punch a hole clear thru from the outside and make it in, hey, forget about the doors if they are locked.. Has anyone here ever took down the siding, applied plywood, reapplied the siding then added the "111"? Call me crazy, I thought that my home had more to it than it does.. thanks for all the replies...

Old 08-19-05, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Guess it all depends on the brand Mobile you buy. Your point is well taken. I had a pretty good model Mobile but you could pop the doors open with little effort. Your Hubby is probably referring to T-111 siding. It's used all over the place in construction. Good luck on your project.

Old 08-20-05, 05:27 AM
A
Solid steel walls

The construction method of your home is not exclusive to "Manufactured Homes". Depending on the wind zone in your area, many times there is only a thermo or vapor wrap under the siding. Very easy to go thru if one is so inclined! Take a look at new stick built homes under construction. Plywood or OSB is used on the corners but styrofoam or blackboard are used in other areas. If somebody wants in, they can get in even if the walls were made of solid steel. Think about it!!!
There is no need to install plywood, then siding, then T-111. The T-111 is plywood siding.

Old 08-21-05, 05:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Before appling any new siding you need to consider the roof. New siding [wood or vinyl] needs to have at least flashing or something to cover the top so water doesn't run off the roof and behind the siding.

Old 09-04-05, 07:50 PM
you don't even have to remove the siding if you want to put T111 on. It can go right over the siding. Like the other guy said, it is plywood, and is very strong.

However, its MUCH more likely that the bad guys (who aren't that smart) will try to go through a window or door, not through the wall. So I wouldn't worry too much about making the place perfectly secure.

Last night, I busted two guys who had removed the plywood screwed onto the window of a boarded up house. they then threw a brick through the window to get in. Just goes to show that plywood doesn't solve those kind of problems!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: