attaching shutters to vinyl siding

Old 08-21-05, 10:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
attaching shutters to vinyl siding

I recently had vinyl siding installed on my home. I had previously made my own cedar board and batten type shutters that I removed of the siding. I want to reinstall them. My concern is they are not your plastic shutters. They are mildly heavy. They were just attached with screws before. I don't think I can do that now because I don't want to compress the siding. Also will need pre drill larger holes in the siding to make room for expansion/contraction? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-21-05, 12:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your vinyl siding has sheating behind it such as OSB I would think you could still screw the shutters in just being carefull not to screw tightly?

Old 08-21-05, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
Jamesn71,

You have the right idea. Hold your shutters up, and drill an 1/8" pilot hole through the holes where your screws were. Then take the shutter down and drill a 3/8" hole, and only drill through the vinyl siding- don't drill into your sheathing. The larger hole will allow for expansion and contraction. You might want to use a heavier screw to hold the shutters on, since the weight will basically be hanging on the outer 3/4" of a 3" screw that is only into 3/4" or less of wood.

Lots of people just screw the shutters right on and don't worry about expansion and contraction. You can get away with this ONLY if all the nails in those pieces are in the center of the slotted nailing fin. Your shutter screws will pin the siding, but if all the other nails are centered, the siding will expand and contract each direction from the location in which it is pinned. (your shutters) You run into trouble with vinyl siding buckling when one piece is pinned in 2 locations (such as on each end). That would be bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: