Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Is painting/staining of pressure treated wood necessary?

Old 10-09-05, 06:38 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm installing a window in my basement. I'm boxing the window with pressure treated 2 X 8. Do I need to paint/stain the 2X8 before I intall? The wood may not be dry enough to paint--water content >20%. Bought it at Home Depot. So if painting is recommended, I'd try a local yard to see if I can find PT wood with less moisture content so I can prime and paint it. Or, I can paint the wood with the high moisture content and hope for the best.

Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-05, 11:24 AM
You do not have to paint it or stain it. This is up to you, but there is no need for it. It is already treated. But if you do want to apply something, you must wait until the wood is dry. Good Luck

Old 10-09-05, 05:38 PM
G
Is painting/staining of pressure treated wood necessary? Reply to Thread

Jack.

Thanks. You've been a big help.

Old 10-09-05, 06:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
As Jack said the PT doesn't need painting - for now. If any of the PT is exposed it should be painted/sealed later on. The properties that make PT weather resistent will leach out of the wood over a period of time so it makes sense to coat any exposed wood after it has dried out.

Old 10-10-05, 09:33 PM
Old school
Visiting Guest
Wood Myths: Facts and Fictions About Wood

Wood Myths: Facts and Fictions About Wood

Setting the record straight on common misbeliefs about the material we use everyday.

by Paul Fisette - 2005

It is said that perception is reality. If you say something loud enough and often enough, somehow it becomes true. As builders, we spend much of our time cutting wood, carrying it around or pounding it full of nails. We think of ourselves as wood experts. But even experts can be mistaken, and you may be surprised to learn that some of what you know about wood is wrong. In the following article, we'll consider some common notions about wood, and see how they compare with the cold, hard facts.

http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/publicat...wood_myth.html