Leak where siding meets foundation

Old 10-17-05, 08:49 PM
J
janmarhen
Visiting Guest
Leak where siding meets foundation

My house is 3yrs old. I have a walk out basement. From the time we moved in we had sporadic problems with leaking in our basement. It only happens during a very hard rain and when the rain is beating against the back of the house. When I look at all of my neighbor's homes I've noticed that their siding hangs over their foundation. That isn't the case with my house. Our siding is about 1/4 inch in from our foundation so where it meets the foundation there is a little ledge. The builder came back and drilled drainage holes into the siding where it meets the foundation, but it is still leaking.

Is there an easy way to fix this ?
Is this viewed as incorrect installation of the siding ? I would like my builder to fix this, but expect they will fight me on it.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Janet.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-05, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its hard to tell from here, and by what you have said. If your home is fairly new, you have to have a building dept or permit dept under which regulates how your home was built. Contact them, and have them come and take a look at it. Good Luck

Old 10-18-05, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 434 Votes on 397 Posts
To fix the siding problem, all the contractor would need to do is remove the 1st row of siding and starter strip and slip a piece of trim coil behind the building paper so that the trim coil could act as a flashing over your foundation.

Of course, that's assuming the problem is related to the siding overhang. If it's vinyl siding, you've probably got water coming in higher... around the j-channels of your windows, or deck or something.