Storm Windows for vinyl windows

Old 10-20-05, 07:34 PM
thefixerman
Visiting Guest
Question Storm Windows for vinyl windows

I own a new home on an open field on a hill that gets pretty windy during the winter months. The existing vinyl windows allow a lot of air to come through. Are there storm windows that can be used?? Or should I just contact the existing vinyl window manufacturer? Any suggestions or alternatives would be appreciated..Not looking forward to heating bills this winter !

Old 10-20-05, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you sure the draft is coming through the windows, and not around the window ?

Old 11-01-05, 08:07 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If they're newer vinyl replacement windows installing any sort of storm window over the vinyl window will void any warranty due to excessive heat build up between the 2 that can cause the vinyl window frame to warp and lose it's seal.

I have no idea what brand vinyl window you have, but just know they are all not created equal and this is a big arguement I get with homeowners when I bid window, my windows often come in at least twice the cost of the junk they sell at Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, etc...but trying to get through with the "you get what you pay for" often turns into a mute point since they want new at the cheapest rate possible, and that is why I loe alot of jobs since I refuse to install inferior products-bullheaded on my part, but truthfully looking out for MY customers since I dont want complaints.

Back to the main topic, look at where the sashes meet the frames-do they appear to have a good seal-meaning weatherstripping in full contact with the frame? and are the weather seals still in good condition? On double hung type windows a ay to check is open 1 sash half way and try to wiggle it or tilt it in the opening-if you get excessive movement the frame needs reshimmed to tighten the seal agaisnt the sash.

I'm with Jack, the main cuase for wind infiltration is improper insulating techniques. remove the trim or inside stops-if you see chaulk-theres your problem, install either fiberglass batt or foam and that will help immediately.

Josh

Old 11-02-05, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 937 Votes on 855 Posts
Poor quality tilt windows or poor installation will allow air to blow right past the weatherstrip. It could be an installation issue he's dealing with.

I'd recommend figuring that out and having it fixed if that's the case. And they may be right regarding the waranty, but that depends on the window manfucature. Vinyl windows aren't really made for storms, so unless your windows have brickmould around them, its not even possible. A company called Vinyl Pro (Wisconsin) makes some nice vinyl storms, however. One window company we deal with also used to sell vinyl windows (with woodbuck, brickmould) where you could also order storm windows as an upgraded option. They've gone away from that in recent years and it's no longer offered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: