Insulation under siding "not necessary"

Old 10-25-05, 11:07 AM
Slatts
Visiting Guest
Insulation under siding "not necessary"

Have a contractor who just started vinyl siding on my house built in 1927. He removed the old aluminum siding and starting putting up the new vinyl over what looks like tar paper and 2 layers of shingle. I asked him about fan board or some kind of wrap but he told me it wasn't necessary because of the under layers. Before I fire this guy, is there some logic to this or is he cutting corners. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-05, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
Before you think about getting smart with your contractor, you should have your facts straight, so it's good that you posted here.

Vinyl siding does NOT need foam underneath it for any reason. It SHOULD, however, be applied over building paper, such as tarpaper or Tyvek. The reason fanfold is often used is because the substrate for vinyl siding is often the old wood clapboard or lap siding, which is not flat. The fanfold goes over the uneven surface, providing a flat surface on which to nail. Fanfold does not increase the r-value of a home significantly (1/4" fanfold would be r-1, and any benefit is negated by the seams and open edges, so anyone who says fanfold will increase r-values is blowing smoke.) Often, homeowners who want to increse the r-value of their home will install rigid 1" foam board or XPS foam such as tuff-r, in order to increase the r-value of the home by R-5 to R-7. If you did not pay for the added insulation, I would guarantee that you won't be getting it.

If there's any question about what you're getting, examine your contract. It should be in writing.

Old 10-25-05, 12:23 PM
Slatts
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Before you think about getting smart with your contractor, you should have your facts straight, so it's good that you posted here.
Didn't mean to come off like that, thanks for the unbiased opinon. I've been getting different "advice" and wanted to make sure. And yes I think it's good that I posted here also.
Thank You.

Old 10-25-05, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
Oh, I didn't mean anything by it, except that you mentioned "firing" him, which sounded a little extreme. And my advice is "definately" biased. I've put up a lot of siding so hopefully my opinion has pointed you in the right direction.

Codes previously did not require building paper of any type under vinyl siding, which is just absolutely insane. It doesn't take much sense to realize that vinyl siding is not water-tight, and that your sheathing should always be protected by a layer of paper of some sort. Thankfully they've changed those building codes to require building paper under vinyl. It's good to see that your contractor is putting it on top of felt.

Hope your project turns out well. There are plenty of forums here if you ever have any other types of questions.

Old 10-25-05, 06:17 PM
Slatts
Visiting Guest
Thanks Again.

Last edited by Slatts; 10-25-05 at 08:37 PM.