Insulated Siding: Thickness, Costs and Opinions ?

Old 11-05-05, 04:26 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey All:

I have an old (1925) house that I am re-siding with vinyl siding. Trying to figure out if it is worth it to go with the insulated siding. Also what is the relative cost difference per square of the insulated versus the regular siding (I've heard maybe $30-40 per square for the materials). I assume with the regular I'd have to get some sort of insulating board behind anyway so is it about a wash? Looks like about 30 or so squares are needed for the job if that helps.

In addition, regarding the regular siding, one contractor has suggested a pretty thick (.52) siding. That seems like a bit of overkill when I am seeing most siding in the .42 or .44 range. (I'm in Michigan so no chance of a hurricane hitting anytime soon.)

Anyone have experience or opinions on this? Anyone happy, or not happy, with their decision to go with the insulated siding? Anything special I need to think about if I go this route?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-05-05, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Frankly, the insulated siding that I have worked with (Alcoa structures) is a PITA. If you're planning on DIY, that's a consideration. Additionally, I'm not convinced that all the seams in the foam insulation make it a very air-tight barrier, although I'm sure its a vast improvement over no insulation at all. It supposedly is labor saving, because you just put up the siding and your insulating is done, rather than doing it in 2 seperate steps, but I've found that it goes up a little slower because you have to monkey with it more. Another benefit to the laminated foam insulation is that it gives the manufacturer the ability to make wider siding profiles (like double 6") which in some cases has a better look to it. It also resists impacts better (hail, baseballs) since it has a completely solid backer. I also don't care for the fact that when water enters the system (around j-channels) water is directed behind the insulated siding and behind the foam. Since foam is a moisture barrier, that's a bad combination. Constant wetting and the inability of the previous siding to ever dry out "could" lead to rotting.

The advice I would give is that if you want the added insulation, install 4x8 or 4x9 rigid ISO or XPS insulation (I prefer horizontally installed ISO) then install your siding (.42-.48 is ok) on top of that foam.

Old 11-05-05, 05:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Insulated vinyl siding does not really insulate!!!!

It is just siding with insulation attached.

Siding is "hung" on a house with room to move. In othe words, it is loose. Because of the open overlapping and required gaps at ends it is only a barrier to rain and not wind or temperature.

Dick

Old 11-05-05, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
It does insulate, it just doesn't do a very good job of it.

Old 11-05-05, 01:16 PM
D
Thanks guys. For insulation seems like I'd be better off making sure I get a foam insulation board installed on the house before I get the siding, eh? Maybe even blowing in insulation in the wall cavities since I'm taking off the siding anyway.

BTW: what's PITA?

Old 11-05-05, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Definitely a good decision to go with rigid insulation directly applied. You get positive insulation and reduced air infiltration. If you don't have sufficient insulation in the wall cavities, this is the perfect and cheapest time to do it.

Dick

Old 11-05-05, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
I agree also, your money will be better spent going that route. And I'll give you a hint. PITA starts with the word "pain".

Old 11-06-05, 05:34 AM
D
Hey guys, thanks for the input. Always a pleasure to hear from pros.

XSleeper: Got it!! Thanks for the new term ;-)

Old 11-06-05, 06:41 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll pipe in with my opinon about the thicker mill. I dont care for it, it really makes all the laps pop out and say "hey, look at me-I'm an overlapped joint" simply becasue it's soo thick. Sometimes there is too much of a good thing

And I also agree with X that the foam backed siding is a PITA to install for pro's, so being a DIY it will be even worse. The principal is good and many siding companies use it as a big selling point to upgrade you into a higher priced siding, but real world experience it's not worth it.

Finally, if your stripping the house anyways, blowing in insulation should be mandatory for you, not an option. Your wallet will thank you many times over after your all said and done. Ex: Last house we "made over" we installed a new roof and vented it all correctly, insulated all the walls correctly with blown in cellulose, replaced all the old single pane windows, installed 3/4" ridgid polystyrene and taped all the joints, and installed new vinyl. First thing he noticed was how quite how had become since they literally had loading docks for a warehouse across the street, and he called to tell me his heating bills were cut in half from all the years past he's lived there...he's been my best customer referral to date.

Do it right and you'll start slowly earning your money back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: