Masking Tape on Vinyl Siding

Old 11-09-05, 03:48 PM
base79
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Masking Tape on Vinyl Siding

I recently stained my deck. I used masking tape instead of the more appropriate blue tape. Because the job took me about 2 months (very large deck on a 2-flat building) the tape has been on the house for about 3 months total, maybe close to 4 months. I have tried "goo gone", "WD40", soap and water, all using a small plastic scraper to help remove the tape. I have not had success. The tape is applied to white vinyl siding strips that function as a trim to the vinyl siding. The tape is also applied to metal poles that run along one side of the deck. Any suggestions PLEASE

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-05, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
Nothing against environmentally friendly products like Goo Gone, but it probably just isn't strong enough to cut the masking tape glue.

Try a similar product called Goof Off. It's got more potent solvents in it (definately NOT environmentally friendly). I would think the 12 oz spray can would work best. The plastic scraper is a good idea. You'll have to remove most of the paper in order for the solvent to loosen the adhesive behind it.

If you'd like to shine up the vinyl a little bit when you're done, use Soft Scrub.

Old 11-09-05, 08:52 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
watch out for solvents on plastic....more so on older siding. It will tend to discolor and make it brittle causing it to crack.....IMHO.

Old 11-13-05, 06:46 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try this!

OK, your gonna think I'm nuts, but here goes anyway. Try Peanut Butter on the tape goo. It's non-abrasive, non-solvent and best of all--it works! I've used it to remove all sorts of stuff from vinyl as well as painted surfaces, including roofing tar, tape residue etc. Spread it on and leave it for a couple of hours, then rub vigorously with an old towel. It will leave a shiny spot on the surface that will go away after a couple of rains.
Oh yeah, by the way, creamy is preferable to chunky here.

Old 11-14-05, 12:28 PM
base79
Visiting Guest
Talking

thanks a million for all of your replies...i have had much success removing the tape with a blow dryer...YAY!