how to replace a piece of siding

Old 11-15-05, 11:25 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to replace a piece of siding

I found a hole, about the size of thumb nail, on my vynle siding.
It's about 3 feet from the ground. How do i replace just that piece of siding?
(I do have some spare pieces. ) Do I have to take down all the sidings above the defective piece, so that they will continue lock to each other after the replacement?

Thank you in advance.

Old 11-15-05, 06:08 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
Pulling down the siding above is not hard and fairly quick.
When you reinstall the siding use the same nail holes to ensure proper height
plus a few extra nails in each piece

Old 11-15-05, 07:12 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I though there might be some shortcut. I will try to pull them down. It may give me the chance to make even some areas.

Old 11-15-05, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
You only need to remove 1 piece above the siding in question. You can easily do this with the help of a Malco "siding unlock tool". It has a small hook on it which you insert under the bottom edge of the siding (start at one end of the piece) and use the tool to yank down and pull toward you... this will unzip the piece of siding that is above your broken one. Once you get it loose, it will hang loosely from its nails, allowing you to remove the nails in your broken piece of siding and replace it. Once you've replaced the piece and have it nailed up, you once again use the tool to zip the last piece of siding into place. Start on one end, pull down on the tool and push in on the siding with your other hand. Continue pulling down and slide the tool along the siding while also sliding your hand along the siding so as to zip the siding back into place. It's kind of like zipping a Ziplock bag... it can also sometimes be as difficult. Cussing doesn't help any. I've tried.

Old 11-16-05, 05:18 PM
Lowongas
Visiting Guest
xsleeper is right. Be carefull in cold weather if you attempt this.

Old 11-17-05, 05:22 PM
DGourley
Visiting Guest
I just use my fingers to unlock and lock the panels. With proper overlapping a whole piece would not even be needed. But do be very careful of dry and brittle siding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: