How to attach downspouts to vinyl siding

Old 12-01-05, 11:10 AM
rblakeh
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb How to attach downspouts to vinyl siding

Siding manufactures ignore my question on how to attach downspouts to vinyl siding without violating their warranty. Never face nail vinyl siding. Also if you put a hole in the siding does this not make the warranty invalid on these panels where the downspout straps are to be anchored?

Old 12-01-05, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 772 Votes on 713 Posts
If the piece of siding has been nailed according to the instructions, with the nails all slightly loose, and all the nails are positioned in the center of their nailing fin slots, you won't have a problem screwing the gutter back to the siding. The problem occurs when a piece of vinyl siding is pinned in 2 locations that are some distance apart. (such as at opposite ends of the same piece of siding) If siding is pinned in 2 locations and it expands, it will make the siding bow or become wavy. As long as the siding is pinned in only one location, you'll be ok.

Some installers use the downspout brackets (2 screws on each side of the downspout), others screw a long screw right through the center of the downspout (I think thats crummy), and then there's me. I like to make my own downspout brackets by cutting them out of the correct color of trim coil, they are shaped like a "C", one screw goes into the siding and is concealed behind the downspout (before it goes up) then 2 short screws go through the sides of the "C" and into the downspout.

Old 12-02-05, 08:18 AM
rblakeh
Visiting Guest
reply to above

I am still wondering about warranty issues from screwing through the siding to attach the C type clamp method. There will still be a hole put into the siding. I know they make mounting blocks for electrical fixtures, house number mounting blocks. Also for years you would read or hear people say Do not put holes in your vinyl siding.
rblakeh

Old 12-02-05, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 772 Votes on 713 Posts
Vinyl siding contractors try not to put any more holes in the vinyl siding than they absolutely have to. You are right to be concerned. But we're talking about one hole, it's not that big of a deal, provided the siding is not pinned in a 2nd location as I stated earlier.

If you're going to lose sleep over it, use a 6" mounting block and screw the downspout to that- end of story. A bit goofy if you ask me, but what do I know? I've only done this professionally for half my life. I don't recall ever having a "warranty" issue with the manufacturer of the vinyl siding. There's nothing wrong with their product so getting anything out of them is like squeezing blood from a turnip. It all comes down to installation and I believe I'm giving you straight advice. Be patient and maybe you'll get more replies over the weekend.

Old 12-04-05, 12:14 PM
rblakeh
Visiting Guest
re

I thank you for your straight advice. But we are not having one hole put in the siding. On an average home, say 16 sq's we are looking at on an average of 4 downspouts with two straps or a total of 8 holes. Now say my wife wants me to hang a couple of decorations, and these holes will probably fall under abuse from most manufactures warranties. Also putting one hole per straps is better than two, like most installers do. I have seen splits in siding from nails, straps falling off from using short screws into the panels (so the screws don't go into the sheeting). Say we do have a warranty issue from installation. Your chances of getting, depending on the circumstances, from siding or gutter co. is limited. IE: one year labor warranties, or no longer in business. Now if you have a ligimate claim on 4 downspouts, you could be looking at 8 panels if the panels to be replaced are over 73 inches, that is two panels short of a sq. on a D/5 panel. Personally I quit using straps that I have to use anchors thru the panels.
rblakeh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: