Cedar lap siding question without sheathing

Old 12-29-05, 09:45 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cedar lap siding question without sheathing

I have a 15-year old wood-frame house bought less than a year ago and only recently noticed that the attics have cedar lap siding attached directly to the framing studs. There is no plywood sheathing behind the lap siding. Is this likely to be up to code?

If not up to code, what would be the simplest way (without removing the siding) to correct the problem? I was thinking of spanning the space between sides with plywood and securing with 2x4s nailed or screwed to the framing studs.

Also if not up to code, do I have legal recourse with the previous owners or builders?

Old 12-29-05, 10:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Codes vary from place to place and also change over the years.
I doubt you would have any recourse with the builder or previous owner.
Are you having any problem with the siding? Is the siding below the attic installed that way also? I know some of the older homes had siding installed in that manner.

Old 12-29-05, 11:34 AM
S
No, the house wall siding is plywood with vertical boards to make it look like board and batten. This is only on the attic ends of the gable roof. I am in Florida so my main issue with the attics is impact/wind resistance.

What do you think of my retrofitting solution? The problem with removing the cedar siding to correct the problem is two of the attic walls are above the second story, one of these above a sloped roof so access from outside would be a major issue. Any other ideas?

Old 12-29-05, 04:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Your idea should work fine, I used to live in fla so I know you better do any attic work while it is still winter.

Old 12-29-05, 07:01 PM
S
You're right about attics in the summer! Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-10-06, 12:46 PM
rblakeh
Visiting Guest
What you have is referred to as single wall construction, as the bottom half is plywood with batts over studs (probably no sheeting under the plywood), another way of single wall was t 1-11 or grooves cut at 4" or 8" o/c.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: