Hadie plank install problem

Old 01-18-06, 09:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardie plank install problem

I am replacing junk hard board siding with Hardie plank and have run into a problem. I wanted to put up window and corner trim first, but when attaching the siding, there are no studs to attach the end where it butts up against the trim. Adding to the problem, the house is steel frame, with studs on 24 inch center, and the sheathing in most places is exterior gypsum board, so I don't feel that there would be enough strength in putting a screw at the end into the sheathing. The old siding was run to the corners and up to window with trim on top, and I never had liked the looks of it .If anyone has run into this problem,or has any ideas on how I could work this out please let me know. Thanks in advance

Last edited by jetfxr; 01-18-06 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
I'm not sure, but I believe that hardi actually recommends running the siding all the way to the window, or to the corners, and then applying a trim board right over the top of everything. I saw that technique demonstrated at a trade show... a real hokey way to do it, if you ask me, but evidentally it's popular in places where contractors are all about speed, and the trim is just put on for looks. In all actuality, that's probably what you'll have to do if you dont have anything to nail to.

If the trim is already installed, the only thing you can do now is toenail the ends of the siding to the trim boards with a small 6d galvanized nail, leaving the head slightly proud to hold the siding against the sheathing tight and then rely on caulking to hide the nail head and glue the siding to the trim.

Old 01-18-06, 11:04 PM
I just finished a sizeable job installing hardi-plank. I don't recommend installing trim over the ends of any lap siding, and especially not hardi-plank. Also, attempting to toe-nail hardi is not a good idea - the cement fiber board will break and tear out.

I recommend that you remove the sheathing at the corners and windows and add framing capable of supporting the trim and the hardi.

The hardi website has more info you can download. Look here:

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...stallation.php

I also recommend that you consider using siding hangers - they are very handy and make the job alot easier.

best wishes.

Rick

Old 01-18-06, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
By "toenail" I was referring to nailing into the 1/8" gap at an angle so that the nail would angle into the framing. The idea being that the head of the nail would perhaps hold the piece down until the caulking cures.

I don't like the way the trim looks when it's nailed over the top either, but the guy asked for options and that's one way of doing it.

Another option would be resheathing the entire house with a minimum of 7/16" plywood or OSB, and nailing the siding on 12" centers. But I doubt he wants to go that route.

What's you're reasoning for not "installing trim over the ends of any lap siding, and especially not hardi-plank" ? Besides looking shabby, I would think horizontal trim pieces could trap water. And bugs could nest behind the trim/laps. Any other reasons? Might as well give him the pros and cons and let him decide which way is best for him.

Old 01-19-06, 07:09 AM
J
Thanks for the input so far. As far as tearing off and replacing sheathing, thats not going to happen. I was considering putting a heavy gauge 6 " flat flashing under the 4" trim so at least I have some strength at the end of the siding. I had looked at Hardie's instructions, and they show install either way, trim first or trim on over the siding. I hate the look of trim over siding, and the comment of bug entry under the siding is so true, when I pulled the the old siding off a couple of weeks ago, I found every fly in Oklahoma underneath. The important lesson I learned that day was to keep my mouth shut as I removed the old stuff and endured the swarm!