Installing T1-11 Siding???

Old 02-03-06, 09:42 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing T1-11 Siding???

I posted this in garages and thought it might do better here, besides, I need all the help i can get with this project!!

Sorry for posting twice, but this is really on my mind...

I am building a garage and am planning on using T1-11 siding. It comes in 8 foot sheets. I am building 9ft walls. How do I joint the upper and lower pieces? Is there a trim board I should put over or between the joint and caulk it to prevent water from getting between the lamanates?? I have also noticed on other buildings sided with t1-11 that there is a trim board between the wall siding and tyhe gable end truss's siding. Is it over the joint or in between them w/ the t1-11 butted up against it?? Also I assume I would use cedar trim boards, is this correct??

Thank you for your help!

Matt in GA

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-06, 10:07 PM
rblakeh
Visiting Guest
They use a z metal between the lower and upper piece to flash between the two. Fasten the bottom pieces and the apply the z metal on the top then fasten the top pieces. Then you can add your trim over the two to hide the flashing.

Old 02-03-06, 10:17 PM
G
Would the trim cause problems by trapping water behind it?

Thanks for the reply!!

Old 02-07-06, 09:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Matt: I answered your other post, but thought I'd respond to this, also. Adding the trim is no problem as long as you make sure the top edge is caulked properly. That way the water will run off without infiltration. Personally, I'd forego the molding, and just paint the zbar. The molding will add a profile to the house you may not want. Good luck. Whereabouts in Georgia are you located?

Old 02-08-06, 06:11 AM
G
In Bethlehem/Winder area. Which is between Lawrenceville and Athens. I do think I'm going to leave the trim off and just paint the flashing like you said.

Thanks,
Matt in GA