vinyl siding

Old 02-06-06, 08:59 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vinyl siding

i am planning to install vinyl siding on my home i have worked with contractors that attach it with staples the manufacturer of the brand that i purchased reccomends nailing it on, does it really matter how its attached

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-06, 05:11 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
nail is the best
roofing nail type
1 1/2 in is best

Old 02-07-06, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
Yes, it matters. As pgtek says, roofing nails are best- the length of nail is determined by the thickness of material you are going through, such as whether or not foam underlayment is used. The nails should be placed in the center of each nailing slot.

The trouble with a stapler or pneumatic gun of any type is setting every fastener to exactly the right depth, and getting it in exactly the right spot. If only a couple fasteners are too tight it can create problems with expansion & contraction.

Some types of vinyl siding come with a "mesh" nailing area that is supposed to make it easier and safer to nail with pneumatic tools but I've never used them.

Old 02-07-06, 08:03 AM
rblakeh
Visiting Guest
Use hot dipped galvanized as they have a better holding than the smooth shanked electro galvanized type. lenth is important if using foam underlayment adjust for the foam. 1 1/2" for hollow back siding. Tried stapling only one time and did not like the results, just went back to old school ways.
rblakeh
35 years steel, aluminum and vinyl experience.

Last edited by rblakeh; 02-07-06 at 08:06 AM. Reason: nailing vrs stapling
Old 02-08-06, 02:57 PM
O
And PLEASE remember. Siding is NOT nailed IN it is HUNG UP. nail it tight and it will ripple and look like crap. I'm tired of seeing these jobs!

Old 02-08-06, 08:22 PM
J
i decided to hire someone to hang it, pretty big job 20 squares, i had a guy come give me an estimate i asked and he said he was stapling it, so i called a few others they said the same thing, i guess since the hurricane they are trying to get done quick because of high demand for repair, should i go ahead with it or wait till i find a nailer?

Old 02-08-06, 08:56 PM
rblakeh
Visiting Guest
I would hold out for a nailer. If they want the job, they will conform to what you want. If it is because of a hurricane they want to staple that is a lame reason, a hurricane can take the siding off just as easy if it is screwed, nailed or stapled.
rblakeh

Old 02-09-06, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
It sounds like their main reason for wanting to staple it up is speed. (They have tons of work to do after the hurricane.) What that means is they are sacrificing quality for speed. Is that really what you want? - to pay the same price but get a shoddy job? I wouldn't do it, but it's your house.

On the other hand, maybe they have "somehow" gotten proficient at using the stapler, putting the staple EXACTLY where it needs to be, and getting it to set EXACTLY as deep as it needs to be, while still allowing the panel to expand and contract. Personally, I think that's highly unlikely- any gun I've ever used fires differently from time to time, and even though you try to be exact as far as where you nail, there's going to be a margin for error. As I mentioned earlier, all it takes is a couple fasteners in the wrong spot to create a problem with expansion and contraction (which produces rippling and buckling).

If they guarantee their work, that no staple will pierce the siding, and that no staple will be overdriven, and you get them to say that on their contract, that would give me a little more confidence. If they are confident enough to sign it, they must know what they're doing. Their guns probably have guides on them that bump up against the interlock so as to shoot the staple in the right location.

Old 02-11-06, 05:11 PM
J
I decided to go with a guy who nails it but with a coil nailer made for vinyl we got most of it done today . i watched them nailing it the gun has a guide on it that lines the nails up in the slots and i havent seen any nails being too tight on the vinyl. thanks for all the replies