To tear off or not

Old 02-14-06, 10:20 AM
sitedrifter
Visiting Guest
To tear off or not

My house has 3 sides of asbestos siding. Well, maybe asbestos maybe not. I say this because the house was built in 1978 and that is around the time Asbestos was outlawed for construction (I think)

In any case, most siding contractors say to put up 3/8 backboard over the siding and install the vinyl siding. Other contractors say to tear it off ($900 more) and wrap the house with tyvek and *no* backerboard.

Some questions I have are:

1. is it ok to leave the asbestos siding up as I am concerned about it cracking when being nailed into and dropping down over time and bulging our the siding at the bottom course.

2. if the asbestos gets ripped off, is tyvek enough or should there be backboard too?

Thanks

Site

Old 02-14-06, 06:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Personally, I would tear it all off or the sub walls. Tyvak, and vinyl siding. If you do not tear it off, you will have to build out all of your windows and doors because the siding will stick out past them. If you have to build out your window frames and door frames, it will cost more then $900. As far as backer board is concerned, I would put up fan fold insulation over the tyvak. That will give you a nice smooth flat surface for the vinyl siding, which is what you need. Good Luck

Old 02-16-06, 10:01 AM
W
i am up in the air but ran into the same problem on a job site, the homeowner opted to remove the siding. If i recall it was an expensive job from removing and disposal due to legal procedures u have to hire an certified asbestos abatement contractor. I have an article in my favorites walking you thru the proper procedures if u need it just reply

Old 02-16-06, 11:45 AM
sitedrifter
Visiting Guest
I am going to have the asbestos removed.

$1380 total which include tear off, dumspter, re-flash windows (12" 30Lb felt all the way around) seal flashing to windows, wrap house with tyvek and seal tyvek to flashing. 3/8" backerboard all the way around.

I think that is a fair price to get rid of the asbestos!

site

Old 02-17-06, 03:19 AM
D
I have a house that I am preparing to move into that also has asbestos that I am thinking of having removed rather than side over.

1400 bucks for all that? Is that being done by someone certifed in asbestos removal. That is all I can use in the community I am going to and I have had fears of it costing a huge sum of money for the removal. I just want the stuff torn off not the rest that you are getting. But I realize yours is only 3 sides but still.

Here I am under the assumption that a removal like this is several thousand dollars.

Old 02-17-06, 05:15 AM
sitedrifter
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Dim Bulb
I have a house that I am preparing to move into that also has asbestos that I am thinking of having removed rather than side over.

1400 bucks for all that? Is that being done by someone certifed in asbestos removal. That is all I can use in the community I am going to and I have had fears of it costing a huge sum of money for the removal. I just want the stuff torn off not the rest that you are getting. But I realize yours is only 3 sides but still.

Here I am under the assumption that a removal like this is several thousand dollars.

I am not sure aboutremoval laws but I do know it requires a special dumpster to go to a special landfill. ($900 for dumspter and 480 for labor)

I can only assume my contractor is following proper procedures especially since they are pulling all permits
3 sides is about 1500-1600 square feet so there will be alot of shingles removed.

Site

Old 02-17-06, 01:59 PM
sitedrifter

Good for you. That is a very fair price. You did good. Have a good day.

Old 02-17-06, 09:20 PM
D
This thread has made me feel better a little about this asbestos removal stuff.

Old 02-24-06, 07:22 AM
JacktheContractor, I saw your advice about removing the asbestos siding to avoid having to build up the doors/windows.

I have a similar situation--I currently have asbestos siding, I plan on getting vinyl this spring. However, budget permitting, I'd like to replace all my windows at the same time, so I wouldn't have to worry about building up the windows. WOuld you still advise I remove the current siding, or just go over it?

An acquaintance (who, admittedly, knows nothing about anything) thinks leaving the existing siding there would provide great insulation.

Old 03-11-06, 03:38 PM
C
If your house was built in 1978 I'm pretty sure that your siding is mineral fiber shingles, not asbestos. I could be wrong but I remember that by the late 70's, asbestos was already gone where I live(N.Y.) The mineral fiber shingles, that you can still buy, look exactly the same as asbestos shingles. I would strip the house down to the sheathing, install Tyvek, and re-side. That's the best job.

Old 05-17-06, 10:20 AM
C
re:asbestos siding and asbestos flooring tiles

Just a note on asbestos siding and asbestos floor tiles. Note, I am not a professional inspector or air quality tester, but I am a homeowner who has done extensive research.
Ok, after the rip-out of asbestos floor tile in my current homes hallways, I panicked. I did not know they were asbestos, and of course I had several worries. My BF did the rip-out, and it was only mentioned after the fact. My BF is a professional union flooring installer/finisher. He said he rips this stuff out all of the time. Yes it does have to be put in a special type of dumpster/landfill (we had access to one on a jobsite that was ripping out the same stuff, and since ours was a small amount about 180 sq.ft. they let us put it in the dumpster). Anyway, this was not as much my concern as was asbestos dust within the house, and my BF breathing in asbestos during rip-out. He said that asbestos floor tile was a different type of asbestos composition and is bound differently than say the softer asbestos type of insullation, and that it does not cause free particulated matter like asbestos insulation, though there IS some question if you were to attempt to sand it or something similar. He heated tiles with a torch and they either peeled off whole or snapped into large pieces. I did an extensive search on the net for all kinds of MSDS stuff and asbestos floor tile anyway, cuz I was still concerned. I did find an extensive page, in PDF I believe that stated the same thing my BF told me, but with a ton of other details --basically it said that asbestos floor tile did not pase the same hazard as things such as asbestos insulation or ceiling tiles because it is hard bound to another composite material and does not freely cause any particulate matter unless sanded or blasted, and even then, somehow it remains bound differently than the asbestos in insulation type of materials, which is why you do not have to have air quality testing during removal, an asbestos abatement and such. I did save this page onto my other computer into a file, and will look for it so that I can post the link, because I am sure others would feel a ton of relief to read it, but it may take a while for me to find it. If memory serves correct, asbestos siding was bound the same type of way. By siding, I mean those asbestos shingles, not any type of asbestos insulation type of stuff behind the shingles themselves. If there is a backing type of insulation, you should have it tested to be sure if it contains asbestos or not. If it does not, then no special type of abatement or equipment is needed for removal, but it will have to go to a special landfill after removal since it does contain asbestos. Apparently, even if the asbestos materials are hard bound and do not particulate into the air, meaning they do not pose a threat for asbestiosis etc., they still require special requirements for dumping, which means an upcharge for dumpster/landfill services.
I will search for my link to this. It set my mind to ease. Though I still did a wet hepa vac of the entire area ceiling to floor just because I was paranoid...of course the BF said it was unnecessary, but it enabled me to sleep that night, though probably more from exhaustion!!!~~~Catia

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: